Thursday 14 August 2014

Fashion Icons Throughout The Ages: 30's and 40's Marlene Dietrich.

I said this would be a weekly slot but I haven't been able to do that, but here is the next installment. I've decided to focus on the 30's and 40's as one because they are so similar.

My fashion icon for this era is Marlene Dietrich, a wonderful actress in this time. She was not only brilliant at what she did, but she was a strong and individual woman. I chose her because she was so different from the stereotypical style of the time, wearing men's suits quite a lot of the time. Even when she wasn't wearing men's suits, she was still often sporting an androgenous look. In a time when most women were wearing girdles, Dietrich was very different and that is why I admire her.

This beautiful photo of her sums up her style and overall sass and so I thought it was perfect to take my inspiration from.


I really enjoyed putting this look together and I've had these trousers for ages and have been trying to pair them with something without much luck. It just goes to show that taking inspiration from someone else can give ideas you would never have thought of. 

The other thing about this outfit I like is that it is more angrodenous than I usually go for, but I'm surprised by how much I like it and how comfortable I feel. I think because I am a lady of the larger variety, I always make the effort to be more girly, but actually I think this look is really flattering.


So the details. The shoes are just some white tennis pumps from Asda, and the trousers were just 2 pounds from a charity shop. They're those kind of granny trousers but with the bottoms rolled up they look a bit better. The top is from Primark for 2 pounds and the blazer is also from Primark. I got this blazer years ago and I've never found another one like it, it just fits so owell and it's a lovely material.


Overall, I love this look, and I will be wearing this a lot more often. Marlene Dietrich is a fabulous fashion icon to take influence from and it has made me step a little out of my comfort zone.
Next time I will be focusing on the 1950's so check back for more!

Sam x

No comments:

Post a Comment