Tuesday 27 May 2014

Fashion Icons Through the Ages: 1920's Coco Chanel

When you think of Chanel as a brand, you're immediately drawn to the simple and classic style that Coco Chanel herself was a pioneer for. She blew the corseted silhouette for women out of the water, and wore trousers when they were still thought to be just for men.

The epitome of style, Coco made a staple of simple black tops with strings of pearls and the signature Chanel boxy jacket. 

Google an image of Coco Chanel and you'll find pictures of her in wide leg trousers with her hands in her pockets; she was a woman well beyond her time, undoubtedly the coolest woman of the 20's.

Famous for advising 'before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off', Coco Chanel's monochromatic style never seems to date. Celebrities are constantly imitating her style and Karl Lagerfeld continues to promote her legacy through his own similar sleek style.

Nothing about Coco Chanel is fussy or taken for granted. Every piece on her body, including perfume, is meticulously thought about, creating the faultless fashion icon of the 1920's that we love.

Within these posts I am going to challenge myself to create an outfit inspired by each of these style icons. I'm not going to try to imitate them because I want my own style to be complimented by my influences rather than covered by them.

The main influence I've taken from Chanel is the monochromatic theme so I've got a simple black dress which is actually a midi dress that I hoiked up with a belt to be a bit shorter. The dress is from H&M for £7.99 and is the perfect basic. I might even do a series of posts on how to use this dress in different outfits.


I just paired this with a black and white striped top from newlook ages ago. I thought that a whole string of pearls was a bit much for me personally so I went with a short string with small pearls instead.


For shoes I just went with smart brogues from Primark years ago but it's always a good idea to have brogues in your wardrobe as they're a classic staple that will never go out of style.


I really like this outfit and will be wearing again because I love the simplicity and it's a bit different to what I normally go for. It's good to go outside of your style comfort zone!


The next installment in this series will be an icon from the 1920's and 30's.


Tune in for that!


Sam x


No comments:

Post a Comment